It was a beautiful morning and I was working outside with my three dogs--Ko, an Australian Shepherd and her two sons Hilu and Dakota, Australian Shepherd/German Shepherd crosses. Ko was tearing up the grass sprinting up and down getting her two sons to chase her. I had to stop my work just to watch her. She was born to run just like her name, Ko E Namakani O Kohala (Carried by the winds of Kohala) implies. When she runs and jumps it looks as if she really is being carried by the wind. There is such grace in the way she moves. I love to watch her run, it's a beautiful sight. She's such a happy, lovable girl and an amazing dog.
Later that morning I was laying on the floor trying to get the bottom screws out of one of the dressers. She came over to cuddle with me and laid her head in the crook of my neck and just stayed there. Another interruption in what I was busy doing. But it was one of those very special moments that brought joy to my life. How could I resist. I ended up just loving her back. I love my dogs and taking the time for them, having them with me when I'm working or just hanging out is one of the great pleasures in my life.
Having a plan for the day is important but one really needs to make time for the interruptions as well. If I continued with my yard work and not taken the time to watch the dogs playing, if I had shooed Ko away because I was intent and focused on what I was doing, I would have missed some of the best part of my day.
Even when my sleep is interrupted because I'm having a bad night, it's not so bad as it may seem. The night is the quietest part of the day. I can use that time to write or read or think. Most of the time I can sleep late if I'm tired so why not enjoy my hot milk and the quiet as peaceful, valuable time I would ordinarily be sleeping away.
Making time for interruptions is part of living in the moment. It's not getting frustrated when something isn't working out or taking too long to finish. It's dealing with life as it comes and knowing that many of life's interruptions are the best part of living. We miss a lot if we're inflexible with our time. As the saying goes, "it's all good." But an important addition to that saying should be--"but before you can understand what that really means, you need to SEE and appreciate the good in ALL things, not just good things."
No comments:
Post a Comment